Friday, May 22, 2009

Saving Money and Monsoon Season

Ok, so first let me say that I get a little frustrated with Jen's "I saved 84% on my grocery bill." And the reason why is that I would also like to save that much, but it's VERY difficult, because they don't double coupons here in FL. Also, when I do regular grocery shopping, I buy a lot of fresh fruit and veggies, which they never have coupons for. I can usually save 40-50% between the sale prices and additional coupons. So anyway, we didn't need anything major this week, so I just picked up a couple of sale items today. Pop-Tarts buy one get one with $1 coupon... comes out to $.70 a box. Milk... had a coupon for a free gallon! Yogurt 20 for $10... had a coupon for $.60 on 6 and a few of the containers had $.15 instant coupons so I got 9 of them... comes out to $.38 each. Total savings of about 65%... I'd say that's pretty close to my record, but of course if had been doing real grocery shopping, I would not have done quite as well!

Apparently it's monsoon season here in FL. It's been raining on and off since Monday night. And when I say raining, I mean torrential downpour, the kind where it's so loud when it hits the roof that you can't hear yourself think. There was even one confirmed tornado touchdown, it was an F0, but still, it happened. Now, my neighborhood is not an area that's prone to flooding, but there are areas that have feet of water on the ground. This picture is of the lake behind our house. Let me first explain that we live in Osceola county, but the lake is in Orange county. The county line is the ridge just above the water line. Normally, Orange county comes out to mow that portion. Obviously they won't be doing that for a few weeks. About 3-4 feet into the water you can see the weeds sticking out a bit... the water line is usually just above those weeds! CRAZY! And I guess the rain isn't done yet either!

1 comment:

Jen said...

Awesome work lady! I don't always do that well. I'm usually at the same % you are.