Monday, January 26, 2009

Casey Alexander Kirsch

My induction was scheduled for January 25 at 9am. My doctor offered me an induction and I have been so ready that I just took it. It was originally scheduled for January 30 at 11:45pm, but another dr had an emergency and had to switch on call weekends with my doctor. So we rescheduled and this was what was available.

So we arrived at the hospital around 8:30 am. By the time we got settled in our labor and delivery room and answered a million questions, the oxytocin wasn't administered until 10am. My doctor came in pretty much at that same time and broke my water as well. Things were moving pretty well, an hour later I was 3-4cm (I started out at 2cm). By around 3-4pm I was at 5-6cm and doing well. That was the point they decided to call my dr's nurse mid-wife, Cecelia (she would be delivering). With Piper, once I got to 6cm, my water broke and she was here 2 hours later, everyone was expecting a repeat preformance, so they wanted her here and ready. Well around 9:00 when I was still only at 8cm, we sent everyone home. We wanted Piper to be the first to meet him and she needs her sleep. He was being so stubborn! At 9:30 I was at 9cm, but not quite ready to push. Not too many contractions later, they checked again and I was ready! And just like Piper, 4 sets of pushing and he was here! Overall the active labor really wasn't that much longer than Piper's, it just felt that way. And at least I wasn't pushing long!

So, we'd like to announce the birth of Casey Alexander Kirsch; Born on January 25 at 10:08pm. He weighed 7lbs 7oz and was 20 in long. He is happy and healthy and much more mellow than his big sister (who in case you were wondering was 6lb 2oz and 19 1/4in).

But our story doesn't end here. I was checked very frequently and my uterus just wasn't contracting back to normal size. After a few hours they gave me a medicine to help and I also tried breastfeeding to move things along. An hour later, no such luck. More medicine and back on the oxytocin. A little before 2am they were satisfied with what was going on and had me order food while still in the labor and delivery room (the kitchen closes at 2:30 and I hadn't eaten since before we arrived). Once I finished eating, we were finally able to head up to our Mother and Baby room. It was 3:00am by the time we were settled in. I managed to doze for an hour or so, but woke up a while ago and couldn't get back to sleep. I am still on an IV of oxytocin, just to be sure that things continue. On the way up, Casey was dropped off in the nursery for a bath and some time under the warmer. He should be back any minnute! Ryan is sleeping now, so thankfully one of us is catching up on our sleep.

We are so excited for Piper to meet him in the morning an for everyone else to meet him too. We were so busy being exhausted and making phone calls that we didn't get a lot of pictures. We promise there will be more but here is one for now!

3 comments:

Tiamaree80 said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I was hoping to see a picture. Glad to hear you're all doing well now, and you're still on that adrenalin high so that all your visitor can meet Casey, (especially his big sister!)

ela712 said...

Congratulations guys! Casey's so cute! I'm glad to hear that all went well and hope that you get some rest! Looking forward to reading about Piper's first visit with her little brother!

Anonymous said...

So glad to get the news - CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Casey is cute and I can't wait to see what Piper thinks of him. Hope that you are getting some well deserved sleep, Kristie! What a wonderful family you have.

Much love, Rusty